Sunday, May 30, 2010

Pacific Book of Science Fiction

This book is well worth a read by Australians for its interesting, 12-story collection of scifi stories by Australian authors, most of them set in Australia. In a market dominated by foreign writers (although the large majority of them are very good) it's nice to read some fantastic tales with familiar backdrops. It's a bit dated now but I love it all the same.



This cover, I will admit, is half the reason I bought the book in the first place. I really like the quasi-futuristic computer typeface used for the title and there's nothing like wacky geometric patterns to catch the eye. This cover was designed in 1969 and it shows but, like orange lamps, patterned lino and brown tiled showers, it holds a special place in my heart. C.R. Evans, designer of this book cover, I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment